1840-1900 AD
1843 – The Disruption
The Disruption of 1843 was caused by a split between those who maintained that the lairds should have the right to choose the ministers and those who felt the choice should be made by the congregations.
After years of dissension the General Assembly drew up a Claim of Right which was presented to the government in 1842. This claimed that the Kirk had complete spiritual independence and the state had no right to interfere in spiritual matters. The government refused to accept this, so at the General Assembly of 1843 a walk-out took place and the Free Church of Scotland was born.
In all, four hundred and seventy ministers left the Kirk at the time, with many elders, communicants, and adherents.
Kirkcudbright’s parish minister, the Rev’d John McMillan, left to become the first minister of Kirkcudbright Free Church, built further north in St Mary Street.
1843 to 1983 – Changing Times and the Free Church
Kirkcudbright’s Presbyterian Churches, Mergers and Changes of Name
By 1843 there were three Presbyterian churches in Kirkcudbright:
- Kirkcudbright Parish Church, in its present building in St Mary Street;
- Kirkcudbright Free Church, further north in St Mary Street;
- An Associate Church (United Secession Church), founded in 1820 in a building in High Street. In 1847 this became known as the United Presbyterian Church of Kirkcudbright. In 1880 it moved from High Street to a new building in St Cuthbert Street. In 1900 it took the name of St Cuthbert’s United Free Church, then amalgamated with Kirkcudbright Free Church to form the United Free Church of Kirkcudbright, worshiping in the St Mary’s building. (The old St Cuthbert Street premises later became the site for a new supermarket).
In 1929 the United Free Church became known as St Mary’s Parish Church and the Parish Church became known as St Cuthbert’s Parish Church of Scotland.
In 1929 the minister appointed to St. Mary’s was the Rev’d Robert R Y B Minto and under his guidance their congregation flourished. Many improvements took place, including redecoration of the Church and re-laying the ground around the church hall. Mr Minto’s ministry was long, continuing at St Mary’s until April 1966 when he was succeeded by the Rev’d James (Hamish) Hepburn.
Mr Hepburn came to Kirkcudbright with his wife and young family after serving for some years with the Presbyterian church of East Africa in Malawi. His ministry was one of quiet, sincere dedication and the wishes of the whole community, not simply those of St Mary’s, went with him and his family when he moved to his new charge in Braco.
In 1983 St Mary’s merged with St Cuthbert’s, initially as St Cuthbert’s and St Mary’s Church of Scotland, worshiping in the St Cuthbert’s building. The St. Mary’s Church building and hall were sold to a developer who converted the interior of the church into flats, whilst preserving the existing facade.
More detailed information on the history of St Mary’s can be found in the excellent booklet “St Mary’s Church of Scotland, Kirkcudbright – A short account of its Origin and History” written by Joseph Robison F.S.A.(Scotland) in 1938. There is at least one copy of this in the Stewartry Museum in Kirkcudbright.
Late 19th Century – Further Developments
Ministers following the Disruption of 1843
When the Rev’d John McMillan left for the Free Church, the Rev’d John Underwood was appointed minister to the Parish Church. He was followed in 1879 by the Rev’d A D Campbell, who stayed until 1913.
Almshouses
From 1869, anonymous donations came from London to build Almshouses. The story behind these donations is an intriguing one. An anonymous letter bearing a London postmark was sent to the Kirk Session in April 1869. This letter contained a gift of £200 – “sent for the creation of one or more Alms Houses with some of the comforts of Prince Albert’s model cottages…”
The receipt of this was to be acknowledged in the newspapers “that the donor may thus know that it has come to hand.” Further monies totalling £3500 in all were sent anonymously over the years, until 1881. There were problems in finding a suitable site but in 1872 the Earl of Selkirk “intimated his readiness to grant very eligible grounds for the purpose.” But there is some confusion about this, as the Session minutes of 10th May 1875 stated that the Kirk Session had bought property commonly called the “Tannery” for £600 for the building of these houses.
However in 1875 the Church houses came to be built in Atkinson Square, so called because the donor was believed to be one Edward Atkinson. It was later disclosed to the Kirk Session that this was indeed the case and that the benefactor had been a native of Kirkcudbright. (He was in fact the uncle of E A Hornel, the artist).
Although the first donations towards the building of the houses came in April 1869, the houses were not completed until 1880. Although no longer alms houses, the houses are now available for rent at a price more appropriate to the market value.
Pipe Organ
In the early 1880’s a pipe organ was added to the Church. This meant the end of the duties of the Precentor, who had until then led all the congregational singing from the Precentor’s pulpit.
Church Hall
Around 1886 the Church Hall was built on the opposite side of St Mary’s Street from the church. It was designed by A B Crombie, Architect, of Dumfries. It is a Category C Listed Building.
