1700–1840 AD
18th Century – Rebuilding
By 1730 the friary church was so dilapidated that it was demolished and replaced.
The new church was cruciform in shape, with three galleries.
One belonged to the Earl of Selkirk and the second was for the Magistrates.
The third was for the “Incorporated Trades,” a body dating back to 1425 that was given Royal Charters in 1425 and 1466. The six trades incorporated were Tailors, Hammermen, Shoemakers, Glovers, Clothiers, and Squaremen. The object was to maintain excellence in the goods being produced and to look after the best interests of the community. Today the “Trades” can still make representations to the local authorities, but their functions are mainly ceremonial.
The first minister of this new church was George Garthshore, to be followed during this period by John Maclellan (?), Thomas Blacklock, William Crombie and Robert Muter.
Early 19th Century – The New Church
By 1820 the church at the Moat Brae was too small for the congregation and it was agreed to build a new church.
Land for the new Church was given by Lord Selkirk, who also undertook to pay the construction costs of the building and spire – these amounted to just over £6582. The Parish Church thus moved to its present site.
Like the previous church at the Moat Brae, it was cruciform in shape, with three galleries.
The Rev’d George Hamilton, minister at the time, played an important part in planning the new Church but died before it was opened for worship in October 1838.
The Kirkcudbrightshire Advertiser of 22 October 1938 printed a centennial reference:
“The occasion of the laying of the foundation of the present church was, according to the records of the Clothiers’ Incorporation, an occasion of some considerable pomp, the event being on 22nd April 1836. At precisely 23 minutes to four o’clock in the afternoon, the thundering of cannon and the acclamations of assembled thousands proclaimed far and near that the foundation of the new church to be built here was at that hour laid.”
The church was opened for public worship on Sunday 20 October 1838, when the pulpit was occupied by the parish minister, the Rev’d John McMillan.
The old church at the Moat Brae was largely demolished and much of the stone used in the building of the new Kirkcudbright gas works. It was later partially rebuilt for use as a school. In 1917 it was re-converted for church use by the Scottish Episcopal Church and today continues in their use as Greyfriars Church.
